The Centre for Autism Services Alberta offers a variety of educational workshops for those who work with individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
Workshops are designed and delivered by educational specialists with significant education and experience working in schools with special needs students (M. Ed and PhD in Special Education – Autism).
Professional development opportunities for educators in our Autism in the Classroom workshop series 2017.
March 20 - Behaviours that Challenge with Shane Lynch, PhD Special Education, R. Psych
Problematic and challenging behaviours are addressed in the context of opportunities for learning and skill building. Content includes defining challenging behaviour, Functional Behaviour Assessment, and Competing Behaviour Pathways. Participants will come away with an understanding of how to develop effective positive behaviour interventions with a view to preventing and de-escalating challenging behaviours.
April 27 - Autism: Facts, Myths, and Best Practices - Adapting the Classroom/Modifying Class Work with Shane Lynch, PhD Special Education, R. Psych
A review of diagnostic criteria and associated features of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) combined with strategies for more effective interactions with students with ASD. The workshop will address effective teaching methodologies with a focus on maximizing student potential.
Who should attend? All educators in all grades (principals, teachers, educational assistants) who want to learn the latest in best evidence-based practice from autism professionals.
Cost: $100 for each full-day session
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. each day with an hour break for lunch (on your own)
Location: Centre for Autism Services Alberta, 4752 - 99 Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta T6E 5H5
To register, call our receptionist, Sandra at 780-488-6600
In School Professional Development
The Centre is available to deliver in-service to individual schools on any of the following topics:
• Autism: Facts, Myths and Best Practice
• Adapting the classroom environment for students with ASD
• Behaviours that Challenge
• Modifying classroom work for students with ASD
• Transitions at schools for pupils with Autism Spectrum Disorders
We are able to individualize these sessions to your particular school needs or create additional in-service on topics of your choice.
1. Introduction to Autism is an introductory full day workshop. Sessions include Autism: Facts, Myths & Best Practices and Adapting the Classroom Environment. For more information on the workshop including date and time, please click on: Introduction to Autism
2. Next Steps is a second-level full day workshop. Sessions include Behaviours that Challenge and Modifying Classroom Work. For more information on the workshop, including date and time, please click on: Next Steps
If you would like to arrange a specific workshop for your particular school or organization or if you would like more information about a workshop, please contact: Brenda Feniak at email@example.com or 780-488-6600, ext. 235